Front Door Fixup

Remember how I told you I did all kinds of getting-ready-for-winter tasks a few weekends ago?

Well I had planned to tell you about a quick little project much sooner… but, like most things home-related, things took much longer to finish up than I had planned or guessed.

But today I have a freshly painted and face-lifted front door!

First, a little background.  The door is in bad shape, no doubt about it.  And if I was thinking, I would have replaced it before my house was painted… But I didn’t.  The fake plastic mullions are broken and have yellowed with age, and the bottom is bent and rusting. Three summers ago I gave the door a little mini makeover– spray painted the mullions white, neutralized the rust and gave the whole shebang a fresh coat of paint.  I even spray painted the doorknob with oil rubbed bronze spray paint (this method is highly controversial in blogland, but it held up great for me!  I used some fine-grit sandpaper and a deglosser before spray painting)

422249_772606593097_1358313917_n
Here’s a collage I made in 2012. Check out that yellowed plastic! Yuck!

I painted the door Benjamin Moore Agave and I loved it.  The spring green looked great with the old brown-on-brown paint job.

625617_774699977937_1928994869_n (1)

Unfortunately, I had the house painted this summer and the agave color totally clashed with the new green trim!

I pulled out my trusty Benjamin Moore Affinity Colors paint deck and started testing options.  Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find the one.  So I went to the paint store armed with a few choices that were close.  I didn’t find a paint chip that grabbed me, but the store was having a sale on their mis-tinted paint… and I found the perfect shade of purple.  I got so lucky!  A whole gallon of a good quality exterior paint for $3!

I followed the same steps as I did 3 summers ago, including neutralizing the rust and re-spray painting the mullions.  They still looked great from the street but the paint was starting to peel a little, so I thought it was a good time to touch it up.  Last time I wasn’t so careful with the masking…  but this time I made sure to protect that new paint!

IMG_6548

The next day I put the first coat of purple paint on!

IMG_6683

I made sure to follow all the instructions on the paint can. The main requirements were the temperature has to be above 35 (check!), 2 degrees higher than the dew point and no rain in the forecast for 24 hours.

IMG_6688
after the first coat…

It looked pretty good!

Until it didn’t.

Even though I thought I was in the clear, weatherwise, that evening it cooled off fast and everything was quickly covered in dew…  within hours of painting.

In the morning I found little purple puddles in the mud room (I just left the door slightly ajar – this is the door to my mudroom, not my actual front door) and it looked like this:

IMG_6717

Ack!

And then it rained.  And rained.  And rained.

What’s funny is that when I bought the paint, I told the cashier “yeah, I gotta get going on this before I run out of painting weather!” and he said “you’ve got a couple weeks left!”

Well it rained for at least 14 days straight (there go my “couple weeks”)!!!

Finally this past weekend I was able to finish this up.  I gave everything a quick sanding (luckily it just looked worse than it was) and put on 2 coats of paint!  And last night I installed a new (not spray painted) doorknob!

IMG_6890

So there’s my “quick” front door makeover!  And just in the nick of time– it’s almost too cold to paint these days!  Mission for next summer: find a better light fixture!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s